Sunday, February 21, 2010

NTU Bike Rally 2010

One word to describe it all. Fun.

Indeed, the weather was great and the event more well organized than the previous year. After the recce which we cycled the full 168km route, I decided that the shorter 128km route would be more appealing on a Sunday morning. =)

21022010_00121022010_007

I still saw the familiar faces of Jasper, Terence and the other NTU riders around at the first couple of checkpoints but after Kranji, it was just myself and Yuva. He slowed when he found his friends and I headed on.

I met Adamson and Eileen along Mandai; and after the Yishun Stadium checkpoint, familiar faces were scarce. I was glad to meet Eileen, a super fit Navy reg, and our chat reminded me of the memorable experiences the past couple of years have left me with. I find myself inspired by people like her who dare to pursue their dreams and passions – perhaps there is where the true meaning of life lies.

21022010_00821022010_009

We finished around 4pm, if I am not mistaken, by far the earliest I have completed the event yet. Interestingly, quite a few of our friends (sitting around Jeremy and I) won prizes in the lucky draw! Chen Sao was definitely the biggest winner of the day – he walked away with the first prize, a Monotine foldable bike, Sworke shades, a bike-mounted camera and many other goodies.

21022010_01321022010_016

A good meal at Carl’s Junior revived my flagging energy level and I headed for home with Jeremy, Jasper and Terence. When the others broke off, I found myself in the middle of an extremely heavy downpour. The water levels on the roads were rising and by the time I got home, the bike was just about at its cleanest in a while!

Total distance: 178km
Participants: LSH, 650+ riders not including safety cyclists

No comments: