Sunday, October 19, 2008

Round Island

Sembawang - Yio Chu Kang - Bishan - Balestier - East Coast Park - Shenton Way - HarbourFront - West Coast Highway - Jurong Pier Road - Jurong Point - Jalan Bahar - Lim Chu Kang - Kranji - Woodlands - Sembawang

I decided to join Kerry, Yan Liang and their friends for a ride today after the sumptuous dinner at Lily's and Grandpa's birthday parties. Leaving my house at 6.30a.m., I planned to meet Gordon at Bishan MRT but alas, his rear tyre punctured and there wasn't much he could do other than pull out of the ride. Set back by 30min, I rushed down to East Coast Park to link up with the others, all roadies except for one.

We set off for the West Coast. It was an uneventful ride but there were so many other riders, mostly roadies though, on the road today. As best as I could, I tried to maintain pace with the leaders but along Harbourfront, they pulled away to West Coast Park. In the middle, I happened to chance upon another roadie not from our group. We started a conversation and I learnt he had made a few loops along the West - East route and was heading home on his last lap. He had clocked about 110km already. Most surprisingly, he was 58 years old! He had also been to several places in Malaysia such as Malacca and shared some of his experiences.

I spotted the group leaders ahead. We wished each other well and parted ways. Our group re-organised and continued to Jalan Buroh before I broke away and headed home via Lim Chu Kang, while the others took the same route back.

I was suddenly hungry and the lack of food seemed to allow fatigue to set in quicker. Slowing my pace, I allowed myself to enjoy the scenery as I passed the infamous back-up runway and the Kranji Dam area. Around Woodlands, I picked up some pace and sped home, reaching my doorstep at about 10.45a.m., 4hrs and 15min since I started.

Total distance: 85km
Money spent: $0
Participants: LSH, Kerry, Yan Liang and company

No comments: