Sunday, December 13, 2009

Cycling – In Search of the Meaning of Life

The average Singaporean will scorn at the idea of cycling 130km from JB to Pengerang under the late morning sun for seafood. They would gladly prefer the air-conditioned comfort of their luxury cars, never mind if gallons of petrol are burnt just to get to Pengerang and back.

Few understand cycling culture and even fewer understand the underlying philosophies of pushing our physical and mental limits. In fact, over the last 3 years, cycling has taught me a set of life values, skills that I rate more importantly than almost anything else in the world – it has allowed me to understand the true meaning of life.

Just yesterday, I was on my way home from work when I passed 2 kids on their new bikes, from the looks of it. One of them was intently securing with rubber bands a piece of cloth to the handlebars (to act as padding). I could see the innocence in their eyes, the excitement of getting probably their first real personal bicycles and the tender loving care towards the bikes. I couldn’t help but smile as I recalled my first bike close to 15 years ago. Yet, I felt a sense of guilt. Some of us own bikes of incredible extravagance (the cost of a fleet of 30 bikes from Carrefour will still not be enough to purchase the bikes some of us own) but the excitement, contentment and care are long gone, only to be replaced with an ugly urge to feed our ever-growing egos.

12122009_01912122009_025

As the never-ending road stretches on for tens to hundreds of kilometres and I settle into a comfortable cadence, it’s time for some self-reflection. I feel my worries draining away and an inner peace taking its place. It’s almost as if I have all the time and space to myself.

The sights and experiences encountered by a traveler of the path less beaten never fails to amaze me. Contrary to bustling metropolitans where we bemoan the degradation of societal values, the kindness, encouragement and help provided by complete strangers with no strings attached humble me and make me feel more human. These friends are no rich people – many struggle to make ends meet – but they possess values that many of us – superficial and living in material lavishness – lack.

12122009_02212122009_024

The majority of Singaporeans can get by with life comfortably but in our pursuit of social status and material gain, many have lost what it is to be human. We take pride in the immense amount of monetary and material donations made during high profile fundraising drives (perhaps for fame, glory and a flaunt of wealth) but ironically, few will give up their seats on public transport to the more needy.

Still, I feel very fortunate to be a Singaporean and living in a well-governed country. As I made my way home, a reckless driver swerved into my path and slowed to make a turn. At that instant, I was checking my blind spot and when I turned my attention back to the front, I was horrified to see my front wheel inches from her bumper. Instinctively, I clamped down on the brakes hard and swerved to avoid the vehicle. Welcome home.

Total distance: 185km approx.
Money spent: RM16.70, S$12 approx.
Participants: LSH, Tim, Eric

No comments: