Sunday, February 15, 2009

Desaru Loop (14 - 15 February 09)

What is the plan for Valentine's Day? Let me tell you. An overland journey via the Woodlands causeway to Desaru and Sungei Rengit, Pengerang. If we are lucky, the new Senai - Desaru Expressway ("Lehburaya" in Malay) will be ready and our travelling distance will be shortened considerably, else we will need to cover about 135km. We will spend a night over at Sungei Rengit, before heading home the next day via the Tanjung Pengelih Jetty.

That was exactly what we did.

Pulling myself out of bed at 4am, I found that Dad was already awake and making tea. We had a simple breakfast, just bread and tea before setting off just past 4.30am. The roads were obviously clear and moving through the checkpoints were not a problem. Not many motorists cross over at such an early hour!


Dad at 4.30am (left) and Dad when we pulled over a rest in M'sia (right)

5.30am. It was the usual pit stop at the petrol station outside the Iskandar Immigration Complex before we set off out journey via Jalan Tebrau which led us all the way to Kota Tinggi. The roads leading out of Johor Bahru were relatively well lit. Yet, as we closed in on Kota Tinggi, we found ourselves entering a single carriageway that was almost pitch black. I had to rely completely on my front light and if other vehicles passed, they helped to light up the path. The oncoming vehicles certainly blinded me with their glare.

Around 8am, we pulled into Kota Tinggi and we had breakfast consisting two prata and a cup of tea each. The bill amounted up to RM4.80. Do your Math! Brilliant.

We set off soon after and ran into misty weather. It was serene. Beautiful and cold. Just like up in the mountains =) Our joy didn't last as the weather turned hot at around 10am; the sun climbed higher. The road ahead comprised long, steep climbs and Dad joked that he had gotten a phobia of them just by looking. I am not sure if he was joking actually but as expected, the ride was arduous.

Several Singapore registered cars and coaches with advertisements of the Singapore Zoo passed us, all headed towards Desaru and Sungei Rengit. When we reached Desaru, we stopped for a rest and I saw several "L" plated cars with instructors/testers and the learner drivers. Looking at the wide lanes which can probably fit 2 small cars, I was immediately envious. There is not way the guys can hit the kerb man! How I wish I can take my driving test there =P


My gear (left) and a must-take picture (right)

When we pulled into Sungei Rengit, it was close to 1pm. We found a hotel (one had no vacancy, I couldn't find the person in charge for another, didn't bother to ask Millenium Hotel because they didn't allow bikes in the room the last time round and was too lazy to check out the others) so we settled for a two-man room for RM58. It was a tight squeeze with the bikes but we can survive.

Lunch was mixed vegetable rice with 100 Plus. The food tasted alright and once again, the price boosted its value. I can't remember the exact cost but after counting the drinks, the food cost less than S$1.50 per person. As a warning, the meal is nothing fantastic and people who are used to the luxuries of life won't be able to take it down =)

I must say we really walked the town. There was nothing much to do so we ate ice-cream (Cornetto at RM2.80 is expensive in the Malaysian sense when similar King's Spinner go at RM0.99) bought a Coke and retired to our room. TV and enjoyment of air-con was the order of the day =)

After watching the last episode of a Channel 8 drama starring Tay Ping Hui and Joanna Peh (Secret or something) shown some time back, it was time for dinner. This time, we followed the crowd =) Most Singaporeans were gathered in a couple of restaurants hence we chose of the more popular ones. The food was good and definitely not too pricy.

Bourne Identity was showing hence we caught the remainder after dinner and it was lights-out at 9.30pm.

I found myself stirring some time later (it was pitch black) and I realised the time was 5.30am. I tried to sleep but again I woke up and it was still pitch black. I struggled for my phone and found it was 7.05am. I just lazed until 7.30am before preparing the day ahead. Breakfast was wanton mee (RM3.50) and tea, the same order when I was last there =P

Later, we checked out the confectionary and found nothing of interest. We observed an uncle selling beancurd on his interestingly designed "motor-stall", literally half a motorcycle with a stall as its second half. We had saw him yesterday but didn't buy anything as it was already in the afternoon. Today, quite a few people bought "dou hua" from him so we just decided to give it a try. It tasted good, though slightly different from what is usually sold in Singapore.

Returning back to our room, we packed up and checked out. I wanted to explore a little but we came to a "dead-end" or rather someone told us it was, and Dad was not so keen so we headed back to the jetty. I was feeling the urge to do some off-roading.


Me at Desaru (left) and our bikes loaded on the boat (right)

The 20km to the jetty was very smooth. We saw a few Singaporean riders the day before but almost none today. Closing in to the last 5km, a group of leisure cyclists rode past (they look like students). By then, it was already past 10am and by gauging their speed, they would take some time to get to Sungei Rengit. They didn't look like they were going to spend the night over so they may not have a lot of time to spend at the small town before heading back to the jetty.

At the jetty, we handed over our passports and waited quite a while for the bumboat to arrive. Getting through customs and loading the bikes weren't much of a problem though I had to remind the uncle not to place my bike down on its right-hand side. That would damage my derailleurs. We were charged RM18 (RM15 per pax, RM3 per bike) each and I was a little surprised because I remembered the uncle charged us S$11 the last time round. I think we had been ripped off. Today, the boatman was Malaysian, whereas it was a Singaporean the last time round; that could be a possible reason.

It was nearly 45 minutes before we arrived at the Changi Ferry Terminal. We weren't that hungry, hence we headed for the hawker at Kovan. At the same time, Dad could have his broken watch strap changed. We headed for home thereafter.

Total distance: 135km (first day), 56km (second day)
Money spent: $40~
Participants: LSH, Dad

No comments: