Saturday, February 21, 2009

Time flies

Half the weekend is gone. How I wish time will slow down.

I spent my whole Saturday with various stuff, starting with the collection of a new LCD monitor for my brother's computer from the Philips Showroom at Toa Payoh. And on the way home, while lugging the load and getting lost in my thoughts, I took the wrong train and only realized it when I reached Orchard. Darn.

When I finally got to Sembawang, I placed a cake order and headed to have lunch before scouting two bike shops to have Dad's bike repaired in the next couple of weeks. I was quite irritated when one of the owners claimed that the only way the screw thread of the frame RD hanger could have been damaged was wrong and forced entry. Come on man, not every bike owner is a noob mechanic. I dare to bet my first RD was not properly assembled by the bike shop in the first place and this discovery only took place two years later.

Anyway, the bike shop owner claimed that once the RD was removed, the hanger would be goner and I had to replace it for $30 if I want my gears to function proper. Well, I took the gear system apart the moment I got home. Removed the RD from the hanger and tried to screw it into a correct position. The threads were already out of place but somehow I forced the RD into a decent position and it works; my gears are now functioning perfectly! =) I don't think the bike shop deserves that $30.

Then I realised my saddle was crooked, as if hit out of position by an impact. I was stumped. The only large impact I had taken was when I crashed down Bukit Timah a few weeks back; it was impossible that I had not noticed the damage, if any. I tried to twist it back to position but the aluminium rods were too stiff. At least it looks better now.

After cleaning up, I proceeded to aseemble the new monitor. Now properly set up and 19" of wide-screen brilliance, it looked wonderful.

I went for a run with Dad in the evening. Paced about four slower-moving bikes for about 1.4km before they made me eat their dust. I expanded most of my energy in the first 6km, did some push-ups along the way and made matters worse by doing a set of 12 pull-ups immediately after the run without resting. By the time, I got down all giddy and panting for breath, Dad came in and we continued the run home.

Distance cycled: 10km
Distance run: 7km
Participants: LSH, Dad

No comments: