Sunday, February 22, 2009

Mount Faber Ride

We went for a late morning ride, meeting at Bishan just before noon. The OCBC mass cycle had ended when we reached the F1 Pit-stop near the Flyer but the kids race was on-going. From miniature racers to MTBs and single speed BMX bicycles, it was an interesting sight and kind of cute to see the small children trying to complete their distance.

We headed for Mount Faber, tackled the slopes and enjoyed the descent to Seah Im Food Centre where we had lunch. It was sliced fish soup with rice and a mug of sugar cane drink for me!

After the filling lunch, we headed for home. At Scott Road, the skies poured and we scrambled to waterproof our stuff. The rain did not lessen in its intensity and by the time when we were about to split up at Marymount, we were already plowing through flooded roads.

When I hit Thomson Road, the rain was so intense that visibility had been reduced to about 50 metres or so. Lightning flashed and the water level was high enough to slow me down significantly on several sections. It was the first thunderstorm I rode through in 2009, but truthfully, I kind of enjoyed it. I went quite fast on the stretch leading to Rodalink and had to slow as the lights were not in my favour at the junction ahead. Pulling my brakes, I could feel the rear brake not responding and only when the brake levers touched my handles did the bike start to slow. I think it's about time to replace the brake pads.

The rain did not stop even when I reached home. The good thing was it had washed away most of the dirt, grease and oil, which made cleaning a lot easier. I took the opportunity to clean up the drive-train and oil sensitive parts.

Job done, I wheeled it into my room =)

Total distance: 60km
Money spent: $4.30
Participants: LSH, Gordon

No comments: