Sunday, April 5, 2009

Bike Review: Jamis Ventura Elite

On behalf of Dad, I went down to Hup Leong to take a closer look at the Ventura Elite. After some discussion with Gordon, I decided to give it a go-ahead. I bought quite a bit of accessories too and had to stuff all into my backpack.



List of purchases (total cost: $1760)
1. Jamis Ventura Elite (with Shimano PD-A530 pedals and stock metal pedals)
2. 2 bottle cages
3. Cateye Optics Cube front light
4. Cateye 5-LED rear light
5. Lizard-skin for chain-stay
6. Louis Garneau road bike gloves
7. Giro Indicator helmet
8. Fizik Plateau saddle
9. Kenda 700 x 23c inner tube

A look at the bike's specifications, the best part will be the aluminum frame with carbon fork and seat-stays. At a decent 8.5kg, the heavier parts will be the aluminum Eason EA30 handlebar and headstem as well as the Shimano WH-R500 wheelsets.

I took the chance to test the bike as I sped home. True to what was claimed on Jamis' website, road noise and vibration were very much reduced by the carbon seat-stays and the bike was very quiet at high speeds.

Shifting was reliable enough, though a little slow on the front chain-rings. I believe the Shimano 105 shifters, front derailleur and the vast height difference between the largest and second chain-rings all played a part. Nonetheless, I don't think it is a big issue.

A notable issue to raise will be the responsiveness of the brakes. In direct comparison to a MTB V-brake (this may seem unfair as the two technologies are distinctively different), it definitely takes longer for a road bike's U-brakes to slow it down. However, this issue will lie with all road bikes and not just this one.

Although the bike came with road SPD pedals, I requested to have the metal platform ones fixed and have the road SPD pedals exhanged for a set of MTB ones instead. Dad won't be using clip-ons, hence I will have them on my MTB instead.

It rained when I was on the way home. The bike had its first taste of water and also mud when I ran over a huge patch scattered across the first lane. What a christianing! This was definitely my fastest ride on a bike yet. Somehow, I still prefer my MTB.

Total Distance: 23.3km
Money spent: $2.50
Participants: LSH, Gordon

No comments: