Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Last day of 2008

I just can't believe 2008 is about to end in less than 2 hours' time. Due to a half day of work today, I came home in the afternoon and cycled to Causeway Point to have my Nokia Limited Warranty Card endorsed by Singtel. This extra hassle was due to my online order nearly 2 months back. As the integrity of the package had to be kept intact, Singtel could not stamp the warranty hence I had to bring it down to a hello! Centre to get it completed.

At this point in time, nothing seems to really come to mind. I know I have a lot to reflect upon but 2008 has been an eventful year for me. I had spent most of my time serving as a CBRD officer and it had been one hell of an experience. Leaving the force, I had brought along many memories that will stay with me for years to come. All the vacations, bike trips, treks and outings were great. I hope 2009 will be just as exciting but somehow I feel a tinge of sadness that as the pace of my life picks up again and things become more hectic, there will be many sacrifices to be made.

I know I often tell my family that I will continue my high cycling mileage into the next ten years. For the past two years, I had devoted my weekends to cycling, and almost nothing else. Do you think I can continue this lifestyle for the next ten years? I highly doubt so too.

2009 will definitely bring many challenges that we will have to overcome. At least until end April, I hope for a smooth journey in my "internship" with GIC. The corporate world is a new experience to me and I hope I can adapt to the new environment and carry out my tasks efficiently.

We have ended 2008 on a low in many areas. The world economy is facing the worse recession since the Great Depression while Israel is currently embroiled in a heated conflict in its unsettled feud with Palestine. The U.S. and her allies are still struggling with rebuilding Iraq and Afghanistan while a series of terrorists attacks in India have marred any optimism that the threat of terrorism has somewhat diminished with the destruction of strongholds in Afghanistan and Iraq. China has always faced natural disasters and scandals in many industries ranging from food to toys and in recent months, the headlines have not gotten better. With the world economy facing a full blown recession, her growth has slowed tremendously and this is particularly troubling as incredibly many companies have closed down. I believe 2009 will not come easy for all. May God bless and guide us along.

This should be about all...my next entry will be made in 2009! I have to be quite satisfied with life to date and all the things I am lucky enough to have. Somehow, I still lack a certain fulfillment and I hope to find more meaning in life next year =)

Total distance: 15km
Money spent: $0
Participants: LSH

No comments: