Sunday, March 1, 2009

Tackling Mount Faber in the rain (28 February 2009)

We welcomed the new month in a befitting way - by riding a half-island loop from 8.30pm on Saturday night to 2am on Sunday morning in the rain =) Wet and cold and in darkness, it really felt like I was back in the army, trudging through some trail on some "mission", all soaked in the rain.

And riding in the dead of the night required also stretched our mental strength - to stay alert at all times. All in all, it was good training, both physical and mentally. When Shao Hong and I started off for Mount Faber, it was already raining rather heavily and within moments, my lower half was soaked from the puddles. The rain did lighten a little when we ascended Mt Faber but when we rolled down, it started again.

This time, it was a much heavier downpour. After a pit-stop at Habourfront, we started for home via Clementi Road, Upper Bukit Timah and Woodlands Road. Splashing through the puddles could be fun but it also flooded my shoes.

We pulled into Teck Whye to have supper with Shao Hong's friend. A bowl of minced meat noodles warmed me up but when we prepared to leave and I put my wet helmet and gloves on, I couldn't help but shiver! As I increased speed, the wind didn't help either. It was only when my body warmed up did I feel better.

I hit home slightly past 2am. Because I had to wake up early in a few hours for an off-road ride, I only oiled the drivetrain and left the bike in the living room. After a good shower, I retired to bed for a much needed rest.

Total distance: 67km
Money spent: $7.00
Participants: LSH, Shao Hong

No comments: