Sunday, September 14, 2008

Bukit Timah Natural Reserve

The title of the post says it all. Finding the 10km Swing KPE competitive run not much of a "kick", I decided to have a go at the Bukit Timah Mountain Biking Trail right after I got home. In actual fact, this was not really the case =(

The herbal tea I drank this morning before leaving for the race nearly killed me. The race started off well and I managed to catch up to the first pack of runners but it all went wrong by the time I hit the 4km mark. The churning contents in my stomach decided that upwards was the way to go and I could not suppress the urge to puke unless I slowed. Left with no choice, I pulled over to the side and started to run/walk, hoping that the puking feeling would subside. Apparently it did not and with my slowing pace, Bro overtook me at the 6km mark. By then, I had all but given up. So I basically walked most of the way and did dashes of 200m. And watched in disappointment as everyone of different ages, shapes and sizes over-took me. Instead of my target 45min, my finishing time was a horrendous 57min =(

On the way home, I suffered several more pangs of pain but after lunch, they subsided. The good weather was too tempting and I found myself on the way to Bukit Timah =) The trail was terribly eroded with large loose rocks and deep ruts. Adds more fun, danger and excitement. I decided to go for the more challenging Quarry Loop and conquered it the same. After one round of sliding down the treacherously slippery terrain, I decided enough was enough, took a good rest and started on the journey home. It proved to be a wise decision as the clouds poured soon after I reached home.


Sparkling clean after a wash

I think I will take a good rest and not bike to work tomorrow.

Total distance: 38km (on-road), 10km (off-road)
Money spent: $0
Participants: LSH

No comments: