Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Storm

The ride home from camp today was special because a storm was raging. In terms of rain and wind ferocity, I had been through much worse but the amount of rainfall I encountered in the Seletar area was just short of amazing.

As I sped out of camp, already drenched, I had to contend with riding through flooded areas which totally had my crank set submerged. There were parts where the water level was up to the aluminum stanchions of my fork (roughly 3/4 of the wheel)! The retarding force was significant and the bike could not clear the flooded patch, forcing me to pedal and totally soaking my shoes. Best of all, I got a free mud bath from the passing vehicles which sped into the puddles, spraying up water in their wake. I bet I could not be seen through the spray caused by the passing vehicles!

Nevertheless, crazy me still maintained a respectable pace home, only slowing down and being more cautious on the corners...

Total distance: 12km
Money saved: $2
Participants: LSH

No comments: