Saturday, May 23, 2009

Wear a helmet; it may SAVE your life

It felt good to get my bike dirty after so many weeks of riding on the road. The feeling of getting my face and shades splattered by mud was a welcome relief. Even after a rather thorough wash-down, there are visible streaks of mud on my tyres and frame. It may seem rather gross to keep the bike in my room, but never mind, it's clean enough for an off-road machine. So when are we going to hit the trails again?

I reached home around noon, washed up (both equipment and myself), had lunch and headed out again to Marina Square on the Polygon. I took about an hour to get there on a more relaxed pace, deposited the bike and looked around the mall before taking the train home.

I had one close shave this morning when we did Scorpion after T15. As I approached the sign-post, I misjudged the height of the board and did not duck low enough when I threaded the bike between the two metal posts. My helmet took the impact with a loud thud. I could feel the entire force dissipated throughout the helmet. Pain shot through my head. At that moment, I thought the helmet had cracked. In the end, it was only a scratch and a teenie-weenie dent.

Imagine the consequences if I had not worn the helmet. The edge of the board would have left a few nice scars on my scalp. I could be lucky enough to escape with just a minor concussion, but the worse case scenario would be a visit to the hospital. =P

Total distance: 18km (off-road); 50.3km (on-road)
Money spent: $3.30
Participants: LSH, Ben, Faizul, Faizul's wife

No comments: