Sunday, May 24, 2009

X-Physique 2009

One word. Fun. Thanks to my three other companions on this adventure race.

All thanks to their brilliance, we never failed to solve the puzzles quickly! Silly me led them on a longer route to the first station but at least we were not the last team to reach that station.

Kayaking, being the first station, was not really what we had hoped for (as this meant we would get our shoes wet), but it turned out to be quite a funny experience. Our kayak kept moving too much to the left and we wasted time and effort correcting course. And our coordination was problematic =P (confirm will clash every 50m). Haha...I think I am super rusty. Zi Kai and Deborah were speeding ahead.

Biking came after kayaking and I think it was rather short and uneventful. Last year's mountain biking section at Tampines mountain biking trail was probably a far more exciting experience. The "Ninja Warrior" style net climb was more interesting.

After that station, we had to decipher a puzzle and the speed at which Deborah and Kezia solved it was just amazing. After a rather long trek to Kampong Glam Park, we were greeted by one of the more challenging obstacles. It took me and Zi Kai quite many tries to finally get through (beneath a rope and above another while standing on a pipe that we had to "roll" towards a finish). I think that left the girls with less time but they nearly completed it.

We then proceeded at our comfortable pace to Mount Emily Park where we spent some time playing with swings, see-saws and a golf ball =P I must admit I didn't know one can build momentum on a swing! Anyway, back to the task at hand, we had to lift a pail out of a restricted zone with a pair of ropes. We took the maximum time to complete it!

Then, it was another long walk to Upper Cross Street so we got some snacks and drinks while the other serious competitors whizzed past us! The last station was abseiling which I thought would be nicer with a higher "drop-off" point. 4 storeys was a little short but it was still fun =) We should have brought a camera to capture facial expressions of people about to jump off!

That done, it was time to return to Square 1. Deborah took us on a scenic tour at the Esplanade Park. We even took some pictures there before returning to the start point some 7.5hrs from our start time. We were the last team in from the Mixed/Open category and Zi Kai's face lit up when told some teams didn't even complete. He asked how many and when told just one or two, had a total change in facial expression. That was funny. =)

I was glad to have "lunch" as my energy was almost running out. Then, the moment came when I had to pick my bike and head for home. Somehow, I chose to travel by Upper Thomson Road! I must have gone crazy, in fact, I was probably quite tired and dreaming half the time when I hit the numerous climbs. My mind probably wandered to a different universe and many a time, I threaded my bike through the small gaps between two moving vehicles without much thought.

Then again, being in a dream was good, in no time, I was home.


At the start(left) and at the end(right).

Total distance: 24.5km (of running, canoeing, biking, abseiling, other obstacles and I must add, strolling! =P); 23.1km (ride home)
Money spent: $9+ for food on race day
Participants: LSH, Zi Kai, Deborah, Kezia

No comments: