Friday, July 24, 2009

10 July 2009 (Day 5): Killing Fields, S21, Phnom Penh

A visit to the Killing Fields and Tuol Sleng (S21) Genocide Museum provided stark reminders of the atrocities committed by the scum of humanity against their own kind. I will never forget the descriptions of how children were killed by swinging them against tree trucks or how babies were slaughtered by throwing them into the air and spearing them with bayonets.

Millions died under Pol Pot's regime, yet he got away scot-free, dying of old age while in exile. I believe he will eventually pay for his crimes; God will never let him get away with it. It is sickening to hear how the Khmer Rouge cadres hung a radio on a tree at the Killing Fields to drown the cries of those being executed or how they sprayed chemicals into the death pits to mask the stench of decomposing bodies. It was organised murder; cruel, calculating and totally planned.

Our tuk-tuk driver was great. He acted as our guide and he knew his history. We learnt a lot on the trip. Lim Hwee was elated when we visited the range at the Special Forces Airborne 911 camp. The selection of weapons was quite tempting but the price was a put-off. If I remembered correctly, it was about USD25 for a magazine of 15 rounds (M16, AK47, M1 Carbine). The shotgun rounds cost USD15 for 5 pellets. In the end, the guys still went ahead to fire the AK47 and single pump-action shotgun.

We visited the Go-Kart circuit next. It was also quite expensive at USD12 for a ten minute session so Lim Hwee and I shared one kart. As I got into the kart, I realised there weren't any seat belts. The helmet did not even have chin straps! The kart was a blast, hitting top speeds of 80km/h. As I took the bends at high speed, I could feel the G-forces acting on me, threatening to throw me off the kart. I had to reduce my speed quite dramatically at several super tight corners. Anyway, the fun lasted 5 laps and I pulled in on the last lap to hand the kart over to Lim Hwee. =)

Getting back to Phnom Penh, Amanda went for her Cambodian dance performance and lessons while we visited the S21. We got back rather late for dinner but the Genocide Museum was really worth the visit.

Total expenses over 18 days: S$535
Participants: LSH, Zi Kai, Jing Kai, Lim Hwee

No comments: