Sunday, July 26, 2009

Road to Recovery

It felt weird to be in a more aggressive position (as compared to city bikes). After three weeks overseas, I discovered my untouched bike had settled in so much that the steering had jammed up. When I serviced it yesterday, the steerer tube and headset appeared normal and steering visibly improved when I reassembled the parts. Still, I could not wait to take the bike out today.

Familiarity set in as I clicked my SPDs into place. Yet, all did not seem too well. As I gained speed along the Sembawang Circuit and reached my usual cadence, I realised I had not fully recovered. I was sniffing as my heart rate increased and breathing became heavier. A hybrid was tagging close as I headed for Sembawang Park and I couldn't quite shake him off.

I increased my cadence again when I hit Simpang Kiri and maintained it for a couple of laps before easing off on the final approach. It was obvious the flu had taken a toll on my form but I was happy to cycle again.

I will be updating the entries on my backpacking trip as the days come and the thoughts flow in. So far, I am done with the first 6 days, so I still have 12 entries to write =)

Total distance: 14.3km
Money spent: $0
Participants: LSH

No comments: