Saturday, July 4, 2009

The Drop

I had fun mountain biking this morning at Track 15 and Scorpion with the guys. The weather was dry and traction was good. It was a splendid way to get some fresh air and some speed. I forgot all my woes as adrenaline coursed through my blood once again. The rather mild Track 15 made it perfect to go at higher speeds.

When we cycled Scorpion, I attempted to clear the two drops (I only did the second one last week). I cleared the first one fine but I slowed too much on my approach to the second drop-off. It proved a terrible mistake as my front wheel dipped and slowed too quickly. The momentum pushed my rear wheel forward and I found myself flying over the bars. As I hit the ground front first, out of the corner of my eye, I saw the bike flipped through the air. At that instant, my back was exposed and I prayed the bike would not land on me! =P

Lesson learnt. I should have maintained enough speed to push the front wheel off and down or just sail through and land on both wheels. I usually prefer the former as I do not have that much confidence in myself and my bike, but it's prone to fail if the drop-off is too high. Daniel can execute beautiful jumps and land nicely on both wheels. His control is brilliant.

Off topic, I am glad to clear my Class 3 practical test yesterday. I have also prepared most of the stuff for our backpacking trip.

Total distance: 12km approx (off-road), 20km (on-road)
Money spent: $0
Participants: Ben, Faizul and his wife, Daniel, Pan, LSH

No comments: