Thursday, July 30, 2009

Pengerang Off-Road Getaway - Aborted!

When we met up at 4.15am early this morning, none of us would have expected or predicted the outcome of this getaway. Less than three hours later, we hit jackpot. It is the first time I have ever encountered such a situation which effectively dealt a fatal blow to our expedition.

Lady Luck was certainly not on our side. I realised they were not behind me when I crossed the flyover at Carrefour Tebrau, hence I stopped and waited. Seeing no one for a long time, I tried connecting my phone to the GSM network but it was taking an awfully long time, so much so that I gave up and rode back. Gerald had been riding Pan's spare Ironhorse (actually his Dad's) and apparently (according to Daniel), the RD had gotten caught in the rear wheel. The impact tore the chain off, ripped the derailleur cable and housing, and broke the frame hanger. We were done for. Fortunately, Daniel managed to link the chain onto a single speed gearing.

We had a good chit-chat session at McDonalds' (Tebrau) before heading for home. What a let-down by Lady Luck but it was great riding with the team.


Arriving home & giving Mum a surprise.

Total distance: 45.2km
Money spent: RM4.20
Participants: LSH, Pan, Gerald, Daniel

No comments: