Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Bike Compass

What do you do with a used watch compass which strap is broken and compass head threatening to fall off its mount? Logical answer: Throw it away since you have got a new replacement for like $0.30.

Well, I was pondering over its fate when an idea struck me. You see, my map case had a nice Velcro strip which dropped off and I had kept that piece of Velcro. On long bike journeys which require navigation, I usually put the compass onto my watch which I will then strap onto the handlebars. I could very well do with a bike compass without the need of a watch.

I managed to pierce a needle through the rubber mount of the compass, which meant I could effectively sew it down to a strap, which was exactly what I did. The strap consisted one side of a Velcro strip - I sewed a shorter piece of the opposite side on its back. I glued back the broken strap and compass head - they seem to hold out fine. As the final touch, I rummaged through my bike supplies and found a rubber damper. Perfect. Now the compass can fit both smaller and larger handlebars. =)


The finished product - a snapshot (left) and mounted (right)

All I need now is a stress test. The expedition tomorrow will be the perfect opportunity. We shall see if it can withstand the rigours of mountain biking as well as the harsh weather conditions.

No comments: