Friday, September 4, 2009

Chill, Wind, Chill

The postponed Business Law lecture ended about 8.45am. It didn't feel like a Friday at all. I had wondered why I stayed back for the lecture (only about 40% of the lecture group turned up), especially since my time was wasted yesterday when the lecturer failed to inform us of the cancellation in advance. He redeemed himself today with an interesting, concise and clear lesson and I knew I had not made a mistake by staying back.

After all, it's fundamentally wrong to play "truant" and we should be responsible for any decision we undertake. There's no point complaining of lousy lectures, difficult topics and the supremely fast pace if one does not even bother to put in the basic effort expected of a student.

The roads were largely clear of vehicles when I started my ride home. By the time I passed the cemeteries along Lim Chu Kang, there was no other vehicle in sight, all the way till Kranji. The night was cool, the wind almost chilling and other than the background noise of the jungle, the only other unnatural sound was probably the hum of my tyres against the road.

Lim Chu Kang was eerily quiet and dark along certain unlit parts. I thought I spotted humanly figures ahead but they turned out to be dustbins or roadside signs when I pulled closer. My eyes were playing tricks on me in the night. I nearly jumped when a voice broke into my train of thoughts. In the dark, I couldn't see anyone! Clearly, someone was speaking and I figured it was a foreign worker by the side of the road, perfectly camouflaged in the shadows. I didn't catch sight of him as I continued down the road.

I ran into a friend at Admiralty. He was cycling when he saw a familiar bike (probably couldn't see me in the dark). I felt someone tailing me and turning back, I was surprised and glad to see a familiar face. Yesterday, as I was heading to NTU, I got acquainted with a fellow biker on the road and we ended up exchanging contacts. That's the beauty of cycling.

Total distance: 57km
Money spent: $0
Participants: LSH

No comments: