Saturday, September 12, 2009

What’s Important in Life?

A recent conversation with a friend set me thinking on several issues all of us will probably grapple with in our lives. Let’s simplify life into four general terms: Family, Country, Job/Career and Religion. Which will take precedence in importance?

I guess everyone will have differing views and it will be interesting to find out how people rank these four terms. If such a survey has been done, I will definitely like to know the findings made.

Personally, I have long decided that the rankings should look something like this:

  1. Country
  2. Family?
  3. Religion?
  4. Job/Career

Family definitely takes precedence over Career in relative importance as Career is nothing more than a necessary tool to support the Family. And if Career conflicts with Religion (very very unlikely), then something is probably very wrong with the choice of Career (doing something unethical or giving rise to guilt in the long run), thus explains my inclination to place Religion above Career.

To date, I still can’t figure if family should take precedence over religion or vice versa. I know a devout believer’s answer but to me, it remains a hugely grey area. Country definitely takes precedence over all. Without the country, there will not be anything else. Someone close who is a devout believer told me that God will understand should a conflict arise (between Country and personal belief) and that we should answer the call to serve the country first.

I will remember his words and believe that loyalty to country should remain steadfast through the most difficult of times. We may get disillusioned but if we can see through the confusion to what we really believe in, I am sure we will find the direction to our problems.

As of now, my doubts will probably remain unanswered.

No comments: