Sunday, January 17, 2010

Ketam was a Blast!

We did 2 laps of Ketam at race pace and if the last practice was great, this was awesome! Joining the SMBF guys at Changi jetty after breakfast at 8am, we waited for everyone to turn up before heading over to Ubin in two bumboats. There were many other bikers heading to the trails on a Sunday morning and we expected a rather congested trail.

We broke off from the main group as we expected to do at least 2 laps and Pan set the pace for the first. He was just amazingly fast around the switchbacks, putting any AM/DH biker to shame! On our previous practice, we were still quite unfamiliar with the trail but this time, we were prepared for most of the switchbacks and obstacles. Clearing them was no longer a problem.

In a moment of “madness” fueled by the rush of adrenaline, I set my bike down the Black Cobra, clearing it successfully. My spokes were making weird noises as I bounced down the rocks but the worrisome creaking subsided after awhile.

We had a rest before doing the second lap which I attempted to time. It just felt great to pushing ourselves up the climbs, clearing every obstacle in our path and powering down the steep switchbacks at incredible speeds. Momentum was the word of the day, it drove us through the entire trail.

My front fork sustained its first battle scar when I attempted to power through a rock garden, failing, which resulted in me toppling to the side when I could not un-cleat myself in time. The bike slammed against the rocks and there went the fork! I know it hurts to see such expensive, valuable stuff get scarred but I try to live with the consolation that I had fully utilized the fork by pushing myself and the bike to its limits throughout the trail.

I completed the lap at 24min and Pan was coming in hot at 26min before Solomon pulled in at 28min and Chen Sao rounded up our finish of less than 30min. Great jobs guys! We were already cooling down when the SMBF guys started on their second lap so we decided to head back to mainland first after a drink.

Solomon and his dad were super kind to end our misery by giving us a lift to Woodlands. Thanks so much man. =)

17012010_00317012010_007

Total distance: 50km (on-road), 20km (off-road)
Money Spent: $15.70
Participants: LSH, Pan, Chen Sao, Solomon, SMBF guys

No comments: