Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Temptation of Gangsa

Our usual trail ride hardly has a dull moment. If the terrain fails to entertain, a chat with my cycling buddies never fails to lighten up the mood. After returning the tool kit to Alrasvee, we headed for the trails starting with Ulu Sembawang. Track 15 served the usual warm-up while Bukit Timah was the main course.

We had a good chat with an American from the mountains of Santa Cruz, California. And obviously, he owns a Santa Cruz (made in his hometown) brought over to Singapore. At 52, he frequents Bukit Timah up to 3 times a week, definitely putting many younger people to shame!

Today was an occasion to remember. I cleared the rocky entrance to the Bukit Timah trail, my first ever since they revamped the climb. Mustering all the speed I could get, I managed enough momentum to get over the largest obstacles. I hope it’s not something one-off! =P

We just had to be tempted by Gangsa on the way back. I had a very close brush when I landed on my front tyre hard and almost got thrown over the bars. My saddle was too high and preventing my body weight from being pushed back further. Alrasvee was not so fortunate and he went down hard, landing on his back and cracking his helmet.

He really frightened us. On the way back, he could hardly ride and vomited his breakfast and whatever he ate at the zoo’s KFC. I hope he gets well soon!

Total distance: 13.2km (on-road); 22km (off-road)
Money spent: $2.30
Participants: LSH, Jasper, Terence, Alrasvee, Daniel, Farid

No comments: