Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Importance of Television

Our TV started to shut off by itself yesterday evening. We managed to start it again but this process repeated. By 9.30p.m, our faithful Panasonic TV of 12 years gave up...emitting a strange noise and nothing else. The start switch must have failed and the TV set was dead. I missed my late night movie, but never mind, life should be more than just sitting in front of a box.

The weather was good today, but I didn't take my bike out. It feels that I have done very little biking these couple of weeks. True, I cycled yesterday and on last Sunday but the total mileage covered is insignificant to what I usually cover. Include last week's ride to and from work, I have probably covered only 45km in two weeks.

I can't believe I am just a couple of days from reaching my ORD. I am really going to miss my friends, the working environment and the cook-house food! All along, I dreamed that I would be a career soldier. True enough, I served two years but the opportunity to study business in NTU presented itself and if I don't grab this opportunity to study business and go into this field of work, I may never get this chance again. Hence, my life direction has changed suddenly and I am a little aimless. Adaptability has been instrumental in whatever I undertook all this while. I may not have a special liking for something but I can and will do just fine. It's time to leave the Army. One day I may return but I shall just keep this possibility at the back of my mind.

I was researching on Batam last night. And I can't make up my mind. Basically, there are three choices we can consider. Batam, Bintan or Karimun Island. Batam is an industrial island where nature has been largely destroyed. However, the 6 bridges of the Barelang Highway is worth a look and things are generally cheaper. Bintan, the more expensive sister of Batam with luxurious resorts, has largely untouched beaches and nature, therefore more attractive to nature lovers. Last but not least, Karimun Island is much smaller but because its less accessible, nature is also preserved. You guys (yeah, you know who I am referring to) can help make a choice if you are reading this =)

I accompanied Mum to get some household necessities at the old Woodlands Interchange before heading to Courts at Causeway Point to check out some of the electrical appliances. Some of the LCD TVs were certainly appealing. Later, we went down to the Courts Roadshow at the atrium and saw a 42" Sharp Aquos LCD TV going for $1499. It came with a free DVD player and HD tuner. Now, that was really something =)

Back home, we "reported" to Dad. He was really quite "sianz" that the TV was down and he couldn't catch "Shi Xiong Di" or any other programme for that matter. So we decided to make a trip back to Causeway Point after dinner. At the atrium, we checked out the Sharp Aquos again. It was a different Courts salesman from the afternoon and he recommended us another set, a more expensive Philips 42". Later, he even brought us back to the Courts outlet where we viewed more sets. I must admit their marketing strategy was really good. At the main store, the same Philips model retailed at $3599 whereas the roadshow offered it at $1999. It was really tough trying to make up our mind but in the end, we bought the Philips 42". I can't believe we fell for their marketing tactic and the temptation of a $1000 Philips voucher! Nonetheless, it's quite exciting to have a new "box"!

Courts is really efficient to have it delivered tomorrow. Dad must have been delighted as he can catch his programme =) Man, I must be strong. The lure of just slacking in front of the TV is just too great. No! I must take my bike for a spin tomorrow. Gordon, wait for me at Bishan MRT. I will be there, 9a.m. =)

Total distance: 45km
Money spent: $0
Participants: LSH

No comments: