Friday, November 28, 2008

MET Crackerjack

After studying a unit of French online, I left home to scout Bike-Link in Yishun for a new helmet to replace the first one I bought. They had Giro Indicators for sale at S$70 and the uncle was nice enough to introduce me to the range of helmets and colours on sale. I grasped the opportunity to check out other parts.

I am not aiming this comment at anyone in particular but the world is unfair. A guy dressed in cycling gear and pushing a "respectable" bike will definitely get preferential treatment as compared to a foreign worker pushing a market bike whom if lucky enough, may get a curt reply. In most instances, the foreign worker will get a very non-committal reply, one that is enough to drive most potential buyers out. Such are the poor service standards in Singapore and I hope the uncle at Bike-Link extends his friendliness not only to avid cyclists but to all who visit his shop.

Smiling and saying "I will consider", I left the shop. It was only about 4p.m, hence I headed for Seletar Dam. Sadly, there was a guy manning a makeshift barrier in front of the construction site and I could not breach it. Turning back, I cycled to Sembawang Road and made my way to Northlink Building. At Orane Concept, I had to wait for awhile as Richard was busy. The shop did not have many helmets within my range in stock. But the MET Crackerjack helmet suited me fine. It cost $60 by cash and $65 by NETS. The uncle directed me to the nearest ATM at Sembawang Shipyard Gate 1, hence I left to withdraw money. After getting lost for a while, I found the place. It was off-duty time and all the foreign workers were pouring out of the gates. Getting the money, I returned to the shop and bought the helmet.

As the display set was the last one left in stock, Richard could sell me at a discounted price of $60. I do hope the helmet is as good as claimed. BUT, testing it is a big no-no!

Bro and I will be attempting to hit K.L by bike and be back in 6 days. The expedition should take place end Dec 08. I estimate a total distance of 750km to be covered in that 6 days. There will be no room for errors in planning, preparations and execution. We will have to be at our best both mentally and physically.

Total distance: 28.5km
Money spent: $60
Participants: LSH

No comments: