Friday, November 14, 2008

Stay at National Service Resort and Country Club (12 - 14 November 08)

It has been a busy, or rather, eventful week. We had CO Change Of Command on Monday and although Zi Kai reached his ORD on the day, he was obliged to attend and help out. Of course, I had to help out and it was kind of a last duty for me. I must say that it was a job well done, especially the cleaning-up after the dinner. Cheers to the HQ enlistees.

Tuesday, 111108 (last time I am writing in this format?), was the day most of us were waiting for. I went back to camp, logged into my ISAC account for one last time to put in the finishing touches before the next officer who takes over me comes in. On one hand, I was glad to have completed my service while on the other hand, I know I am going to miss this lifestyle. Dreams do change over time and I hope I find the correct path to take in life soon.

The next day, I set off for the NSRCC where we were going to hold our BBQ dinner as a treat to the friends and colleagues we have known in the unit. My backpack loaded with the necessary equipment and two 1.5l Pet bottles of soft drinks started to weigh a ton as I neared my destination but nonetheless, it was good training. After all, cycling with a load should be easier than dragging it by foot.

Most people attended the buffet cum BBQ dinner. It was good to see familiar faces around. With CAT 1 weather conditions, we could not barbecue hence we just settled for the buffet spread. I hoped everyone enjoyed it. Late into the night, the mahjong game was still on; the rest of us watched "The Rock" until the wee hours of the following day before turning in.

Funny thing, I woke up early in the morning feeling rather refreshed. The others were still sleeping like pigs. Proceeding to the kitchen, I took out the leftovers from the refrigerator and re-cooked/warmed them up for breakfast. Mum and Aunty Lian Hua soon arrived. The others woke up gradually and we basically gamed for the whole morning before lunch. We had the leftovers for lunch. Obviously, our appetite wasn't that good. I had this stupid stomach pain since the first day morning and it kept coming back.

In the evening, while the others gambled, I took the bike out for a spin round East Coast Park. Being the school holidays, there were quite a lot of people around. After the incessant rain stopped, it was wonderful that the weather held up and I rode leisurely while enjoying the sights along the way. That's what I like about cycling. To me, it is not about having the best bike or winning any races. It's about testing your physical and mental limits at times, being conscious of your surroundings yet day dreaming and enjoying the beautiful sights of the places the bike brings me.

We managed to barbecue on the last night. Somehow, the guys managed to get ice, butter, bread and even otah from the surrounding chalets! Wonder what they must have done =P Anyway, it was a good meal then it was all mahjong again. I had a lot of time with the PS2 but as usual, my gaming skills were damn lousy =) At 1a.m, it was "Con Air" and I retired to bed at around 3a.m.

I woke up only at 9a.m today. Si Wei and Ben came down to play a little before we checked out. During the hand-over, the staff pointed out the burnt marks in the microwave oven and wanted to charge us a replacement fee. Luckily, we managed to explain it away. Then, we lost the room card keys! Darn. But we found it along the path to the car-park later! I was super hungry and wondered if I could make it back home without any breakfast. In fact, I was prepared to do it but luckily we found a cafe in the resort open and had breakfast there.

Then it was the start of another solo journey home and all of a sudden, I realised I missed home (must be spending too much time away?). It never felt so good to see Sembawang.

Total distance: 91km (Sembawang - NSRCC: 35km; One loop of ECP: 21km)
Money spent: $65++
Participants: LSH

No comments: