Sunday, March 1, 2009

Asrama - T15 - Butterfly - Scorpion

My handphone alarmed jolted me awake. It was 7am, a mere 4 hours of sleep. I was feeling a bit reluctant to go for a challenging ride off-road but I had made a promise that I could make it. I cooked a packet of instant noodles and tried to pack the necessary gear which had been soaked in the rain a few hours ago. I was already running a little late. The feeling of putting a pair of wet gloves, damp helmet and soaked shoes did not do any good to my morale.

I guess the riders at the 100km MTB Marathon (Great Singapore MTB Carnival) last night (5pm - 1am) had it bad. A night race made things difficult, wet trails increased the risk and the incessant downpour would really chill the riders to the bone. Anyway, it was only later that I read the race was stopped at around 8.45pm. I wonder if the riders were relieved or disappointed.

I rode fast from home to the 7-11 at Sun Plaza, only realising Brandon meant the 7-11 at the MRT when he called me. Meeting him and Wilson, we headed for Asrama and waited for Jasper (coming from AMK) at the entrance of T15. When Jasper arrived, we started our off-road ride and it was a rather smooth and fast ride down T15.

We then entered Butterfly, which was strewn with slippery roots and obstacles such as logs which we could do a simple wheelie over. I found the roots a little irritating especially if there were just too many to ride through without slipping. A full-sus would ride better on this trail as a hardtail's momentum tends to be broken by the many obstacles. Still, it was an interesting ride and I realised many bikers actually frequented the trail.

After a rest, it was a ride through the faster Scorpion trail. Wilson's chain broke and my Topeak Survival Gearbox saw "live" action for the first time. We successfully re-connected chain by removing one link and continued on the ride. Getting back to T15, we proceeded out and to the Zoo where it was a KFC meal for snack/lunch.

Recharged, we headed back via Mandai and Sembawang Road. Jasper broke off at Old Thomson Road while we continued down to Brandon's place where he so kindly lent us the use of his hose to wash the mud off our rides. That done, Wilson and myself left for home.

I cleaned and serviced the bike before taking a shower and having lunch. My brake pads are super worn out =P; I have to change them soon.

Total distance: 30km approx (off-road), 19.3km (on-road)
Money spent: $3.30
Participants: LSH, Brandon, Jasper and Wilson

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Where is T15 and how do you from there to Butterfly and Scorpion trail to the Zoo. Pretty interesting route. Thank you.

LSH said...

Sorry...I can't disclose it online. It's sensitive with the MTB community here, hope you understand. Perhaps we can meet up for rides.