Sunday, March 29, 2009

Earth Hour (28 March 2009)

I went back to AJC this morning for the anniversary run brief at 11am. Checking out the school organization chart, I realized that all the teachers that had taught me, apart from Mr Ng (physics) and some of the PE teachers, had left the school. In a "short" 2 years, things had changed, perhaps for the better. After the brief, I went for lunch with Gordon before heading for home, clocking a distance of 22km.

In the evening, I met Shao Hong at Khatib, before linking up with William outside AJC, and finally Gordon at Bishan MRT. William's new GT Avalanche 1.0 was simply a stunner. It was around 7.50pm and we dashed down to the Esplanade, reaching it ten minutes before the WWF's panda mascot activated Earth Hour.

The Singapore skyline lit up the night and people were rather excited to see an occasion in which the exterior lights of major buildings were switched off. At precisely 8.30pm, the exterior lights of major landmarks such as Maybank, the Fullerton and the Singapore Flyer were shut down, to the delight and cheers of the crowd that had gathered for the event. Candles were lit and a concert, a collaboration between WWF and Mediacorp Radio, continued in the darkness.

We had quite a time chilling out, talking and trying to get our camera phones to work in the dark! Before the hour was up, we left for Mount Faber. According to Gordon, we were hitting speeds of 35km/h on certain stretches and even went up to 39km/h on one occasion. We were definitely going much faster at night. The climb up Faber was taxing, as usual, but we relaxed for quite a while at the highest point.

Speeding down was part of the fun; William and I overtook a lorry and a car on the way down. I took one of the turns too fast and found myself almost scrapping the sides of a corner. I clamped down on the brakes and leaned into the turn, and in that agonisingly slow moment, my front tyre missed the kerb by inches. Apparently, William was following right behind, hence if I had crashed, it would be a disaster =P

We rode to Selegie Road via the ever busy Orchard for some snacks at the "dao hui" stall. I was quite thirsty, hence I ordered "dao hui", a cup of glass jelly drink and a butterfly bun. The task of extricating our bikes soon followed after we were done and in no time, we were on Upper Serangoon Road.

Gordon broke off first, followed by William. Shao Hong and I took the Jalan Kayu route and we broke up after Seletar Dam. It was a good ride and I am looking forward to the next one =)

Route taken: Earth Hour ride (67.4km)

Total Distance: 89.4km
Money spent: $2.50
Participants: LSH, Gordon, Shao Hong, Chua William

No comments: