Saturday, March 14, 2009

T15 - Bukit Timah Spin

I felt quite lethargic today. It was a miracle that I got on my bike and headed for T15. Someone had moved the boulder to block the "entrance" beside the gate. It do not deter me. I hoist the bike over onto the boulder, climbed up and jumped off from the ledge together with the bike.

I met quite a number of people on the trails today, so I had a lot of smiling and waving to do =P I spotted a slow moving bike ahead, hence I moved aside to overtake the rider. He waved me down and shouted something. I could not hear so I pulled over. It was a Caucasian. He had a flat and needed a pump. I was about to offer to mend his inner tube when he realized that the valve had broken off too. Hobson's choice, he had to find a way to get back to Orchard. I suggested a cab and he readily took up the idea when I told him he could strip the wheels and put the bike into the boot. He decided to move in the direction of BT but since his position was closer to Mandai Lake Road, I suggested he take the other way, reassuring him that he would not be shot when he raised his doubts about going over the "gate" =P

We parted and only when I gave the incident deeper thought did I realise I could have just changed the whole inner tube for him and saved him the cost of taking a cab back. Not that he couldn't afford the ride anyway if he lives in the Orchard area.

Anyway, I completed T-15 and went on to Bukit Timah. The wetter conditions were not to my advantage since my tyres lacked grip and since it was meant to be a relaxed ride, I tried to slow my pace and stay out of trouble. Some of the lines I took today were pretty poor and my bike shook, shuddered and nearly tore itself apart when I hit the obstacles.

After a break at the Visitors' Centre, I tackled the entrance of the trail. My tyres slipped as usual but this time I managed to down-gear in time and just made it in getting the bike up. Any wetter, I am going to slide back down.

The weather was burning as I rode home, unlike the overcast skies now. I hope it does not rain tomorrow.

Total distance: 32km (on-road), 15km (off-road)
Money spent: $0
Participants: LSH

No comments: