Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Itching for the off-roads

The last ride with the SMBF bikers was fun. I am definitely looking forward to future rides. In fact, I am itching to get on a bike right now and tackle the trails.

I wonder if I have a chance to ride Ketam MTB Park any time soon. It has been a few months since I rode the Blue Square and Black Diamond, and I am quite sure the trails will have changed somewhat due to the rain, erosion and frequent use. Anyone care to ride with me?

The International Mountain Biking Association (IMBA) has five ratings of difficulty, namely, White Circle, Green Circle, Blue Square, Black Diamond and Double Black Diamond. White Circle is the easiest and Double Black Diamond is the most difficult track to engage. The trails at Ketam MTB Park are rated as:

1. Blue Square - Trails with a combination of some steep slopes, narrow track with poor traction.
2. Black Diamond - Trails with a combination of long step climbs, drop-offs and tricky obstacles
3. Double Black Diamond - Trails with a combination of very steep climbs and drop-offs, sharp corners and tricky obstacles

To people who are unaware of the full set of ratings IMBA has for trails, they will probably be mistaken to think Blue Square is the easiest and can be easily engaged by beginners. They will be proven so wrong. Nonetheless, I believe the Blue Square provides a good experience for beginners. Just remember to put on your helmet and make sure your bike is functioning properly!

List of segments and obstacles (above)

The Blue Square is a pleasant trail for a fast ride; probably slightly tougher than the Tampines trail, which means more fun =) Black Diamond, on the other hand, is definitely more challenging than Bukit Timah and has long, steep, lung-busting climbs! The difference between the Black Diamond and Double Black Diamond are the obstacles that lie along the way and riders have the option of passing through Black Diamond challenges such as China Bowl and Black Cobra or attempt the extremely technical Double Black Diamond segments such as the infamous 4-storey high GraveDrop!

I had a hell of a time with the Black Diamond and every climb up the treacherous slopes felt as if I just sprinted 2.4km while my heart nearly leapt out of my ribcage as I navigated across each obstacle.

Obviously I chose the Black Cobra over the GraveDrop at the end of the trail =P

I have this sudden urge to ride GraveDrop now, right now! Haha...wonder if I am up to the job.

The Freeride Skills and Dirt Skills Park are worth checking out. But please do not attempt the stunts along if your bike trial skills are not up to mark =P

It feels good to be on the trails. I feel every part of me alive and my senses responding to every movement needed to keep the bike under control. Time to hit the trails.

No comments: