Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Special Occasion

It is quite depressing to wake up realising that officially, "childhood" and "teen-hood" are over. I woke up with a surprise at my feet though. Literally at my feet were two neatly wrapped presents, courtesy of Bro who had left for his camp early in the morning. I didn't intend to unwrap the presents till much later but Mum accidentally leaked as to the content of one of the parcels.

I headed to the library to return a book which I had almost forgotten to return until I rediscovered its existence late last night. I had been carried away reading "Finding God in Unexpected Places" that my interest in the bicycle-touring guide I had borrowed diminished.

After lunch, I packed my usual essential gear and headed out to Owen's place to collect the jerseys and tights I had ordered earlier. Close to the fitness corner, my rear shifter jammed. The problem did not go away. I could only use the heaviest cogs (rear) and I decided to make to do with it. I had an appointment to meet and changing the bike was a hassle.

In the end, I got to the place without any further "surprises", collected the stuff (the Trifemme tights cost $25 per piece while the Veloce jerseys cost $30 each) and made my way back via Thomson Road.

Back home, I removed the shifter cover and to my dismay, the cable was half-broken. I tried to rectify the problem by snipping away at the broken ends, hoping the intact wires would hold. False hope. I tightened the wires, worked the gears and the wires snapped.

Dad came home around 6pm and I managed to convince him to accompany me to Orane Concept which had moved to Blk 731, Yishun Street 72. I was stuck at the lightest cog at the rear (I am using XT Rapid-rise) and tried to compensate with the largest chain-ring but still, I found myself spinning crazily to the bike shop. Most of the time, I was just travelling around the same speed as the uncles and workers returning home from another tiring day of work.

Anyway, I am glad that Richard replaced both gear cables and the cable housing where necessary. After the servicing, shifting is also much more crisp =)

On hindsight, it was great the cable snapped only when I was fiddling with it and not during the journey itself. Had that happened, I would have been in greater trouble. For the second time in 6 months, the exact same thing happened (cable snapped when I got home), and I had to get them replaced. What a surprise for this special day.

Total distance: 36.3km (errand); 13.2km
Money spent: $126; $16 (replacement of gear cables)
Participants: LSH; Dad

No comments: