Friday, June 19, 2009

Valuables Pouch

After studying some designs found on the market, I decided to make a valuables pouch / inner pocket. Rummaging through a box of unused, old and damaged bags (most of them freebies from various events), I selected a few potential ones for their materials and "parts".


Weak fabric (left) and the finished product (right)

Initially, I used the "nylon-polyester kind" of fabric found commonly on goodies bags. Halfway through, I realised the material could not withstand a stress test. The fabric simply tore itself along the stitched seams.

Then, I found an old "Yakult" sling-bag. A passport could fit the front compartment / cover perfectly, hence I snipped the front pockets off the bag. Now, it resembled a pouch. I stitched up the openings three times for extra durability. Next, I undid the stitching of the "Yakult" brand as well as the unnecessary Velcro piece at the back.

Finally, I sewed on the belt loops, giving them four passes of stitching for greater strength. A lanyard (recycled from the bag that had failed the stress test) provided an alternative way to carry the pouch and I sewed down the knot to prevent it from accidentally coming apart.

VoilĂ ! Now I have a inner pouch, fully recycled and functional, and its real worth will be proven in time to come =)

And I have short-listed a few notebooks that meet my requirements. My desktop is almost 7.5 years old and is rather fond of acting up unexpectedly. Ideally, I need a computer that can handle power-intensive tasks like graphics and video editing / encoding as well as one that's small and well-built enough to fit into my haversack and withstand shocks / water (from rain). I guess shocks and exposure to water can be minimised by a waterproof hard case as well as my bag's rain cover.

Getting a good balance of performance and portability within a budget is already hard enough. So far, I am quite inclined towards the HP DV4 1413 and Acer Aspire 4937G. The Fujitsu Lifebook S6520 is also a good choice, the only downside being its lack of a decent graphics card.

No comments: