Sunday, August 16, 2009

Dinner @ Hougang Central & a Cyclist Rants

I think Dad was just bored today. He decided to cycle in the evening and I did not want to go at first - I had intended to go for a run - but when I heard he was heading down to Hougang, I decided to tag along. After all, that meant we would be eating out and I did not want to starve at home waiting for him to return with packed food.

We ended up having dinner at Hougang Central. I thought the hor fun was quite good and reasonably priced. I think most people will question our sanity when they learn we went down to Hougang just to have dinner. =P

On the way back, misfortune struck. Somehow, a lady driver on her first year of probation had stopped too close to the kerb at a junction and as I passed, my handlebar grazed the left wing mirror. I must emphasize on the word "grazed" as the contact was neither strong enough to push my steering off nor cause a scratch on the mirror. Nonetheless, the car inched forward and the husband rolled down the windows. He wasn't that unreasonable and it was my fault anyway so I apologised and we got on our way.

This reminded me of yesterday's incident along Mandai Road. There were ongoing roadworks hence there was only one lane open. As we cycled through, a car behind blared its horn. Daniel probably gestured to the driver and unfortunately, the bugger took offence. Alrasvee was at the front, with me in the middle and I witnessed the car overtaking us, cutting into our path and braking abruptly. After the junction which we turned onto Sembawang Road, the driver overtook us again and pulled over at the bus stop, as if he was waiting for us. We ignored him and rode on.

Cyclists face many hazards on the road, day in day out. Tempers often flare on both sides (cyclists and motorists) over seemingly minor issues but it is unfair to point fingers at either party. There are bad cyclists as there are inconsiderate motorists. When I drive and encounter cyclists on the road, I wish they give signals before their "unpredictable movements". At night, I pray they have theirs lights on lest some careless motorist rams into them. On the bike, I just wish the motorists will give us cyclists a break!

Not everyone rides a bike "for fun". There are many of us who rely on pedal power to get us to work or school. Day or night, rain or shine, we ride. We have every right to be on the road (cyclists should avoid the pavements as it inconveniences and even endangers pedestrians) and although we do not pay road taxes, we are not contributing to pollution or traffic congestion. Fine, the other road users pay taxes. They deserve to sit in comfort, contribute to pollution and laugh as rain-soaked cyclists struggle through their paces.

We do not request to be treated specially. Damn it, for God's sake, just leave us alone.

Total distance: 35.5km
Money spent: $3
Participants: LSH, Dad

No comments: